Saturday, August 8, 2009

And it begins....

Yesterday I had my first meeting of the new school year and school doesn't even start for another 18 days. While it was very productive, I now have more work than before the meeting. I expected that. Since when does anyone meet this early in the year and not come away with projects to do?

What are some of my projects? Only two are library related, go figure. Those that do directly effect the library scheduling and marketing. Because I work in a Title I school I use some of my flex time working with specific classes, pushing in during their guided reading time. Hopefully. I still need to sit down with other teachers to work out the schedule, but I'm thinking it will work. The more challenging piece will be marketing my library services. I feel I made progress last year, but there is such a long way to go.

So...here's my personal challenge. Balancing the amount of services I offer with the time I need to complete my tasks (collection management, lesson planning, updating the catalog, etc.). At times I get so caught up helping others I give away too much of the time I need to accomplish my job in a timely manner. This year I'm going to try using Google calender. I created an account for the library, and will distribute the log in and password to all staff. I'm hoping this web tool will keep me just the right amount of busy.

My larger task is working with those teachers who I haven't in the past. What can I do differently to draw them in. I've thought about putting out candy (already done by the secretary), I've considered a coffee maker (not many people drink it anymore), I can't afford daily treats (way too expensive). I've offered to help teach lessons that could use an extra pair of hands/eyes. I've highlighted underused materials. Short of dragging them in and forcing them to cooperate I'm at loss as to what to do.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment