Sunday, September 27, 2009

Non-fiction Sunday

When selecting books to read, I typically select chapter books that I think would appeal to my students in grades 2-5. In an effort to broaden my range I decided to bring home several non-fiction books that I found interesting. Wrapped up in my afghan to ward off the chill I curled up with my six books. Quickly working through my stack I found that I enjoyed the experience so much that I have christened today as Non-fiction Sunday. I will try to make it a weekly practice to bring home several non-fiction books to read each week. After which I will select several to "formally" review. Not that my reviews are formal, by any means, but that I will officially post my thoughts and comments.

So...how do I review the wide range that is non-fiction? I consider many aspects from the ease of the text, the depth of the information and the illustrations. As a teacher I appreciate the few authors that include research notes. I hope to use these books as an introduction to research. Information picture books would make a great alternative to the typical research paper. I just now need to figure out the details.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment