Monday, August 31, 2009

Happy 40th Internet...

Several years ago I was assigned to read a book for one of my grad classes. Not having any interest in the topics presented I selected what I thought would be the least boring book, Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet by Katie Hafner. I was pleasantly surprised when the book turned out to be highly interesting and enjoyable (and imagine my surprise...I actually learned something. Gasp!). I remembered this book this moring as I read an Associated Press article on the Internet turning 40. One room, two bulky computers, and a 15 foot cable brought to life the exchange of meaningless data and the beginning of the Arpanet network.

Amazing how quickly the idea of enriching the intellectual research of the military and academic institutions has grown into the socially integrated Internet we all know and love. So...now that this powerful tool has been around for 40 years, how will be continue to utilize it to advance OUR intellect? Is Web 2.0 and social media the answer? Will Twitter and Facebook make us smarter, or help us build a better society in general? I don't know, and I'm guessing there are people out there (much smarter than myself) who are also wondering the answer to this very question.

What I do know is that I have much to learn from the individuals I have "met" through Twitter and/or Facebook. This group of tweeters and posters have exposed me to new websites, new tools, and most importantly new ideas. I might not save the world and bring about world peace or harmony among cultures, but I do have the power to enrich the lives of my students and staff. And that's pretty good in my book!

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment